Visa questions

What is a Schengen visa? Does it work for Italy?

A Schengen visa is issued by any country that is a member of the Schengen agreement (list of Schengen countries can be found here.

Italy is a member of the Schengen agreement, meaning that you can travel to Italy with a valid Schengen visa issued by any other Schengen member country. Equally, you can also travel to any other Schengen countries with an Italian Schengen visa. If you are planning to visit more than one Schengen country during your trip, we recommend applying for a visa of the country where you are planning on staying the longest. For example, if you are issued an Italian Schengen visa, it is recommended to enter the Schengen zone through Italy (same recommendation applies to other Schengen visas).

Do I need a Schengen visa to enter Italy?

There are many countries whose citizenship does not require a Schengen visa, however, there might be a limit to the length of your stay in the Schengen zone. Here you can find the list of countries that require a Schengen visa and further information and conditions.

What type of visa do I need as a tourist?

For a short-term visa (less than 90 days), you need to apply for a C-type Schengen visa. This can be a single, double or multiple-entry visa, depending on your application, travel plans and visa history. The maximum stay with this type of visa is 90 days (if the visa is valid for a longer time, you still have to leave the Schengen zone after 90 days and then re-enter again). For more information on the visas and how to apply for, you can contact a Consulate department of the Italian Embassy in your country here.

Share with your friends: Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on VK